Prepared by the Lenasia South Muslim Association Ulema Board
All praises to Allahﷻ for the blessings and mercy of Ramadhan. We make du’ā that He accept our sawm, ‘ibādah and all devotional acts. The Day of Eid is regarded as the day of prize-giving based on the Hadith of Rasūlullah ﷺ. On this day, Allahﷻ rewards us for our acts of devotion in Ramadhan and forgives us.
The onset of the COVID-19 pandemic has posed the challenge of having to spend this blessed day under lockdown restrictions. This includes the restriction of performance of jamā’ah(congregational prayers) for the Eid salāh and salāh in general, social visiting etc. While under lockdown, let us spend quality time with our families, make contact with our near relatives, assist the underprivileged and make ‘ibādah to derive maximum benefit of this day. The following guidelines serve to guide on devotional practice for the day of Eid:
- Observe the Sunnats and Etiquettes for the Day of Eid
These include a) Adorning oneself according to the Shariah, b) Taking a Sunnah Bath, trimming the nails and removing unwanted hair, c) Wearing one’s best clothing, d) Using Miswaak, e) Apply ‘itr(perfume), e) Waking up early in the morning, f) Eating something sweet before offering an Eid prayer and, h) Reciting the takbîr softly
- Share the blessings and joys of Eid-al-Fitr with the underprivileged by discharging one’s Sadaqatul Fitr of a reasonable amount before the Day of Eid.
- Performance of Eid Salāh
Due to the government’s current lockdown restrictions, a jama’ah(public congregation) of the Eid salāh is not possible. The following guidelines will assist on how to perform salāh on the day of Eid:
- According to the Hanafî madhhab, in the absence of jama’ah( i.e. less than 4 male baaligh persons), a person should perform 2 or 4 raka’ahs of nafl salāh at the time of ishrāq/duha (approximately 15 -20 minutes after sunrise). Make the intention of performing salātul ishrāq/duha. No extra takbîrs will be performed, nor will khutbah be made.
- According to the Hanafi madhhab, it would be permissible to read the Eid salāh(approximately 15-20 minutes after sunrise)in jama’ah with the extra takbîrs and khutbah at one’s home is based on the following for prerequisite of the presence of four bāligh males(1 imam and 3 followers) in the home. Female family members may join as well (Refer to method attached).
For the Shafi’I madhhab, the Eid salāh is performed in a group or individually with extra takbîrs in all cases. If the congregation is two or more, there will be khutbah and if performed individually, there will be no khutbah( See method attached).
- Spend quality time with our families. Make contact with our near relatives if we are unable to visit.
- Make du’ā for Allahﷻ to accept our devotions of Ramadhan and to ease our situation. Ameen
For a step by step Guide on performing Eid Salah at home for Hanfi, click here
For a step by step Guide on performing Eid Salah at home for Shafi, click here
For a comprehensive Eid Salah Khutbah, click here to download your free pdf copy
 Refer to the Fatawa of Darul Uloom Zakariyyah, “Fatwa on Performing Jummah at Home due to restrictions”, 1 April 2020.